Interlake Mecalux Pallet Shuttle
A compact storage system in which a shuttle, driven by an electric motor runs on rails inside the storage channels, replacing forklifts, considerably reducing operating times and enabling items to be grouped by channel rather than in complete lanes.
The Pallet Shuttle follows orders sent by an operator using a tablet with WiFi connection, depositing the load in the first free placement location in the channel and compacting the pallets as much as possible. By removing the need for forklifts to enter the lanes, storage capacity is increased in terms of depth, the risk of accidents and damage to the racks is negligible, operator movements are optimized and warehouse operation is modernized and made more flexible.
|Step 1||Step 2|
|Step 3||Step 4|
Technology applied at top operating speeds
- Increased number of pallets in depth: Storage channels can exceed 131 feet in height; the maximum height is determined by the handling equipment used.
- The system works with minimal clearances between levels, which allows for high-density storage.
- Through the use of sensors the shuttles can position loads intelligently, eliminating empty spaces in the storage lanes. As a result, the effective capacity of the warehouse (which takes into account flows of goods in and out of the warehouse) reflects its physical capacity.
- Loading and unloading times are reduced, since the operator does not need to move around inside the lanes.
- The shuttle can travel at a speed of 295 ft./min when empty, or 148 ft./min when loaded.
- Load lifting cycle of just 2 seconds.
- With just a single command, the shuttle can progressively fill or empty a whole lane.
- Increased flow of goods in and out of the warehouse.
- Unlike conventional drive-in systems, items can be grouped by channel, rather than requiring a full lane, thereby allowing for greater diversification.
- Optimization of operator movements, using the product-to-person system: It is the load that moves to the operator.
- While the Pallet Shuttle carries out a command, the operator collects another pallet, thereby achieving continuous movement.
- Depending on temperature and load conditions, the shuttle has an operational range of up to 10 hours working at full throughput.
- The lithium batteries are easily accessible and have fast connections that eliminate the need for wires, so that they can be changed quickly without interrupting the operation cycle.
- Elimination of errors.
- The system is easy to use and easy to maintain.
- A single tablet can control up to 18 shuttles.
- Inventory function: The shuttle counts the number of pallets stored in a channel.
- These benefits, allied to its efficient use of energy, lead to immediate cost savings, making the Pallet Shuttle one of the most cost-effective compact storage systems available.
- The shuttle has built-in sensors that enable different types of pallets to be detected and handled.
- The Pallet Shuttle models 4048 and 4840 are able to work with pallets of different widths and sizes. The 4048 model can be used to handle pallets 40" deep ( and around 48" front). The 4840 model can be used to handle GMA pallets, 48" deep.
- All shuttles can operate in LIFO or FIFO mode. The operator uses the tablet to select the mode he/she wishes to work with.
- The shuttle platform is designed to carry pallets that have a maximum buckling limit of 1 inch.
- Any type of forklift can be used to handle the shuttle.
- Up to 3,307 lbs. per pallet can be handled.
- It is possible to install Mecalux’s Warehouse Management Software Easy WMS on the tablet.
- The system is scalable. There is an easy option to increase the number of shuttles as the need to increase productivity arises.
- Thanks to the way that the structure is built, and given that forklifts do not need to drive into the lanes, the risk of accidents is practically non-existent and the metallic structure is not damaged, thereby keeping maintenance to a minimum.
- There is a user management feature that prevents unauthorized personnel from using the shuttles.
- Both the racking and the shuttles have built-in safety features specifically designed to ensure the correct operation of the Pallet Shuttle system:
In addition to regulatory requirements (signage, cladding with safety meshes, fall-prevention meshes, etc.), the structure of the Pallet Shuttle system also includes additional elements, such as:
Rail end stops: These are L-shaped pieces made of folded sheet metal .3-in. thick, used as a detection element to slow and stop the shuttle in normal working conditions.
Pallet centralizers: These are fitted to the entry/exit points in the storage channels to aid in the placement and centering of the unit load in the channel.
Advanced safety systems have been incorporated to avoid possible incidents caused by improper use. Most importantly:
Rail-end: Used to detect the position of the Pallet Shuttle at the ends of the track.
Position sensors: Used to detect the position of pallets that are loaded on the Pallet Shuttle, or that have been deposited.
Locking system: Safety device located at the bottom of the shuttle that is activated from the tablet. It increases the contact between the Pallet Shuttle and the forklift forks.
Safety bumper: Used to prevent potential trapping or crushing.
Emergency stop button: Ensures the Pallet Shuttle stops for any preventive maintenance task.
Shuttle bumpers: Prevent possible collisions or incidents resulting from improper use.
Positioning camera: Helps to maneuver the Pallet Shuttle in place in the channel and center it. It is especially helpful in very tall installations (optional).
- Safety scanner: Monitors access to the tracks while the shuttle is operational (optional).
Mecalux designs and manufactures all the component parts of the Pallet Shuttle compact storage system, including the special racking structure to ensure optimal movement of the shuttles. The company also manufactures its own shuttles.
This guarantees perfect operation and a perfect fit for all the different elements of the system, as well as their quality and compliance with the safety regulations in force in each country.
Thanks to the resources invested in R&D&I, Mecalux’s Pallet Shuttle includes the latest technological innovations, offering optimal performance at a very competitive price. It has innovative features, including remote control via tablet, the positioning camera and the safety scanner. It is also one of the fastest systems on the market and can be adapted to the specific needs of any warehouse, making it even more efficient.
Mecalux provides a warranty of five years for the Pallet Shuttle racking structure, of one year for the operation of the shuttle, and of six months for the operation of the batteries.